Written and Fact Checked by: S. Zulfiqar
Have you been recently consuming weed and wondering how long does weed last? Or if you’re a first-timer, but before actually trying it, you need to know how long does it take for weed to kick in and how long does it take for weed to wear off? Then you have landed in the right place!
This article will tell you all that you need to know about weed and its high. Sit back and read the rest of the brief article to get all the answers that you need.
There are a lot of factors that determine how long the weed lasts. Most of us are aware that it reacts differently to different people. Now you might think that we’re all human beings and are made the same way. You’re right; we’re all human beings, and we are made the same way, but we are not 100% alike. Like we have our own choices, our bodies react differently to different things. So it’s essential for you first to know that, like all things, weed acts differently on us.
First of all, We All React Differently!
You might already have noticed that while you’re pretty high and laughing all over the place while your friend who also smoked a joint is relatively standard and is acting all fine. That’s a straightforward example of how weed works differently on us all. Of course, there are tons of other factors involved as well but understanding this part is important.
The Weed Strain has a Direct Effect on the High
After that, there are different types of weed or different types of strains. All of them have their unique properties and components. Another thing is the compound that’s found in the cannabis plant. It’s called THC, and it’s the primary psychoactive ingredient of the entire plant. So the more THC your weed has, the longer or stronger the high will be. The THC levels are directly responsible for the high that’s caused when we smoke weed.
This is why plenty of seasoned cannabis enthusiasts prefer their weed to be high in THC. There’s a little message in there for you as well. If you’re in for a stronger or longer high, make sure to find the right kind of weed that has more THC in it. Or you can simply lookup for various strains and pick the ones that are rich in THC.
Another Thing that Matters is the Quality of Your Weed
Remember, the weed that’s considered best for smoking is the one that’s completely dried. If you notice your weed isn’t properly dried, you might be disappointed after smoking it. So to get the best high, make sure to buy your weed from a reputable cannabis store. You can also talk to them about your personal preferences, and they’ll recommend you something accordingly.
Other factors that determine the high are as follows:
- How much did you use: If you have smoked as much as you should have, the high might usually last for about 2-3 hours. However, there are cases in which people have claimed that their high lasted as many as 10 hours. So we can assume that the duration of the weed high depends on a lot of things, but it lasts for hours; it can be one hour, two hours, or even more than that.
- The THC levels: As already mentioned above, the higher THC levels in your weed, the longer the high would last.
- The bodyweight of the consumer: That’s right. It depends on the body weight of the smoker as well.
- The fat percentage: Similarly, the fat percentage also determines how much the high last would.
- The metabolism of the smoker: The bodies of different people take their own time in getting high. Some people might start feeling high within a few minutes or smoking weed. While for others, the weed might take about 30 minutes to kick in properly.
- It also depends if you have eaten something or not: If you’re on an empty stomach, you might start feeling high sooner than the rest of the people you have their bellies full. Similarly, if you’ve just had your lunch or dinner, it would take a while for the weed to get into your system and make you feel high. So if there’s a chance that you might consume more than you should, here’s a pro tip for you. Eat well before smoking weed. This tip can work well for you even when people around you are regular stoners.
- Finally, the tolerance level: Perhaps the most important factor of them all is about the tolerance level. You might be skinny or on an empty stomach, but if your tolerance level is high, you won’t feel as high as someone with a low tolerance level. This is both pro and con. It’s a pro for you as you won’t green out because your tolerance level is higher than most people. On the other hand, the downside of it is that you might not enjoy it as much as other people with low tolerance levels, and that, sometimes, can be frustrating. So it’s your call to look at it as a plus point or something negative.
Weed is 100% legal in Canada; there is no reason why you shouldn’t use it to have a pleasurable time with friends. Have them over and enjoy a couple of hours of relaxation and laughs.
Outside Canada, we encourage the user to weed only where it’s legal.
Secondly, while you’re at it, please be sure not to consume too much weed. When there is too much weed in you, things are not always as fun as they should be. Sometimes, things get out of control, and the pleasure turns into pain and regrets. So it’s imperative first to get to know your tolerance level. Try by starting with a small amount of it. See how you and your body react to it and what sort of pleasure does it give you. Only then add more if you feel it’s necessary.
- Fisher B, Rehm J, Hall W. Cannabis use in Canada: the need for a ‘public health’ approach. Can J Public Health. Mar-Apr 2009;100(2):101-3.