Although magic mushrooms have been around for a long time (since 1000-500 BCE!), the way they are consumed is changing.
Just like marijuana products are evolving with the emergence of CBD and THC products, so too are magic mushroom products. As shroom enthusiasts look to the years ahead, they may be surprised by what the future of shrooms holds: shroom gummies.
What Are Magic Mushrooms?
But, first, what exactly are magic mushrooms? Believe it or not, these can be either grown and cultivated or found in nature.
Magic mushrooms are mushrooms that contain a compound called psilocybin.
Psilocybin is considered one of the most well-known psychedelics and is a naturally occurring psychoactive and hallucinogenic compound. The psilocybin found in the mushrooms makes them “magic” or gives the effects mushrooms are best known for offering users.
Magic mushrooms also go by other names, including:
- Philosopher’s stones
- Liberty caps
What Effects Do Magic Mushrooms Provide?
Since psilocybin in shrooms is considered a hallucinogenic drug, magic mushrooms can cause a wide variety of mental and physical effects.
Psilocybin works by influencing serotonin in the brain. After consuming magic mushrooms, the body converts the psilocybin to psilocin. Psilocin influences the brain’s serotonin levels, which causes the effects mushrooms are known for.
Some of the mental effects magic mushrooms can cause users to experience include:
- Distorted sense of time, place, and reality
- “Spiritual” experiences
Common physical effects shrooms can cause include:
- Dilated pupils
- Lack of coordination
- Increased heart rate
- Muscle weakness
Magic mushrooms can cause both positive and negative effects, and the experience or “trip” users have can be impacted by environmental factors and the person’s mental state. Because of this, it is important that you take shrooms in a place you feel comfortable and around people you know and trust.
People with mental issues like schizophrenia, depression, and PTSD may also experience bad trips as the effects of shrooms can sometimes trigger bad memories and flare-ups.
What Are Shrooms Gummies?
Shroom gummies are similar. They are simply gummy candies (usually made of gelatin) that contain psilocybin mushrooms.
Magic mushroom gummies are available in different flavours and shapes. They are also available in different amounts, meaning users should pay attention to the dosage before taking shroom gummies. Taking too much can trigger a bad trip instead of a pleasant experience.
What Are the Benefits of Eating Shroom Gummies?
There are many reasons people use shroom gummies, and their popularity has started to increase. Some of the benefits of using shroom gummies include:
- They taste good. Not everyone enjoys the taste of mushrooms in general, and magic mushrooms are no exception. Eating them in gummy form helps mask the mushroom’s flavour, creating a better overall experience for users.
- They don’t smell. Smoking weed or shrooms (which some people do) generates a tell-tale smell. Plus, magic mushrooms, in general, can smell. But, when in gummy form, they are less likely to smell, or if they do, they will smell more like a gummy than a shroom.
- They are discreet and travel-friendly. Because they don’t smell, it is easy to take gummy shrooms discreetly. Plus, users can easily toss them in their bags without worrying about them getting squashed as raw mushrooms could.
Other Ways to Ingest Magic Mushrooms
If shroom gummies don’t sound like your cup of tea, there are other ways to consume magic mushrooms. Popular consumption methods include:
- Raw. Some users prefer to ingest their shrooms in their raw form. While this is fine, shrooms can be a little rubbery in texture. Not everyone enjoys a raw shroom, but many other people actually do.
- Steeped in tea. This has been a consumption method for shrooms for a long time. Steeping shrooms in tea helps mask the mushroom flavour.
- Added to food. You can add magic mushrooms to almost any food you’d typically use mushrooms in. Dice them up and add them to pasta sauce or use them as a pizza topping. Just be careful to watch your dosage and how many you are using (and will end up eating).
- Other shroom edibles. Gummies aren’t the only edible on the market. Shroom edibles like chocolates and caramels are also available to users.
- Shroom capsules. Many people are surprised to learn that magic mushrooms are available in pill form. These are ideal for those who don’t like the taste of shrooms and want to avoid edibles.
How Long Do the Effects of Magic Mushrooms Last?
One major benefit of magic mushrooms is that they act relatively quickly and last for a long time.
Most people will start to feel the effects of the shroom within 20 to 40 minutes of ingesting the magic mushroom. Before effects start to subside, your body needs to metabolize and excrete the psilocin in the mushroom, which can take about six hours (or more).
Although effects may linger for hours, the peak of the effects usually occurs within hour one to hour three.
Shroom Gummies: In Conclusion
Marijuana gummies are saturating the cannabis market. So, it makes sense that magic mushrooms would follow suit, even if they are a bit behind. Many mushroom enthusiasts see shroom gummies as the future.
Not everyone enjoys eating mushrooms, which is one reason people may hesitate to try them. When in gummy form, though, they can appeal to more people thanks to their flavours.
Users, especially those new to using magic mushrooms, should be mindful of the dosage amounts in any gummy they buy. Shrooms are a potent hallucinogenic, meaning a little can go a long way. When trying them for the first time, start with a low dose and allow the shroom plenty of time to take effect. You can slowly increase your dose the next time you use them until you find the correct dosage for you.