Written and Fact Checked by: S. Zulfiqar
When you’re ready to get creative with your pot and explore new horizons, it’s time to learn how to decarb weed. Decarbing is a fundamental step in how marijuana flowers become psychoactive, so even if you’ve never heard of this term before, it’s an essential part of your weed lifestyle!
“Decarb” and “decarbing” are shortened versions of the scientific term for this process, which is decarboxylation. If you want to learn how to decarboxylate weed or how to decarboxylate cannabis, rest assured that the different names all mean the same thing. Let’s learn all about how to decarb weed, so it’s ready for consumption.
Decarboxylation is the chemical process that takes place when heat is applied to a plant’s material. The heat causes the plant to release carboxyl and effuse acid. When you’re dealing with cannabis, this means that tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) is converted to tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
THC is the psychoactive compound in marijuana, which means it’s the chemical that gets you high. If cannabis isn’t decarbed, it can’t produce the incredible sensations we all know and love. Knowing how to decarboxylate weed and how to decarb shatter are vital skills for anyone passionate about pot.
Scientists have studied how to decarboxylate cannabis for the maximum psychoactive effects and, in the process, discovered how to decarb weed in a range of conditions. Cannabis needs to be decarbed for a minimum of 6-7 minutes at 148 degrees or a maximum of 25-30 minutes at 121 degrees. When you’re figuring out how to decarb kief, the amount of product and its moisture levels will determine the best method to use.
It’s not hard to learn how to decarboxylate weed and how to decarboxylate cannabis, but you should take your time with this process. You’ll need to carefully monitor the temperature, heat, and timeframe to get the best results. Leaving your cannabis in the heater for a few minutes more or less will drastically impact the amount of THC you consume in your finished product. It’s also possible for cannabis to self-decarb, but this process takes a long time and has unreliable results.
Explore the two most popular decarb methods, including the equipment you’ll need an easy step-by-step instructions. You’ll learn how to decarb kief in no time.
If you have access to an oven, you can try one of the easiest and most popular methods of how to decarb weed at home. Oven temperatures and cannabis potency levels vary, but you can make up for these complications by investing a little time. Plan to stay in the kitchen during the decarb process. You’ll need to watch your buds closely to prevent them from burning. As a bonus, you can enjoy the potent fumes of gently heated cannabis.
- Oven thermometer
- Baking tray
- Aluminum foil, parchment paper, or waxed paper
- Preheat your oven to either 148 degrees or between 225-250 degrees.
- Place the oven rack in the middle position. The oven center usually has an even heat distribution, so this position will protect your pot from burning.
- Line your baking tray tightly with foil or baking paper.
- Grind your cannabis with a grinder or by hand, then spread it evenly over the baking paper. That helps the heat transfer and is an integral part of decarb kief and decarb shatter.
- Put the tray into the oven and let it bake for 25-30 minutes. Avoid opening the oven door to check on it since this lets out the heat.
- After 25-30 minutes, your weed should be brown and dry. Remove it from the baking sheet and let it cool in a safe spot for 30 minutes.
That’s it! Now that you know how to decarb shatter in the oven, you’re ready to have fun.
Ardent Nova Decarboxylator
If the oven method seems too complicated, you can try the Ardent Nova to decarb your weed. This decarboxylation method fully contains all the cannabis fumes and helps you maintain high quality through set quantities. Thanks to a timer setting, your weed will never be over-baked. Ardent Nova machines are on the more expensive side, but if you can find space in your budget, you’ll enjoy an easy, stress-free decarb process.
- When the front light turns green, remove the top and purple inner seal.
- Load the metal container with one ounce of marijuana.
- Return the metal container to the machine and re-seal the top.
- Press the front button, making sure the light turns red.
- Sit back and relax. Once your weed is perfectly decarbed, the Ardent Nova will turn itself off. The front light will turn from red back to green. You’re ready to go!
- Wikipedia. (2020). Tetrahydrocannabinol. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahydrocannabinol
- Health Europa. (2019, July 22). 20 Health benefits of cannabis that everyone should know. Available At: https://www.healtheuropa.eu/health-benefits-of-cannabis/92499/