Though its legalization is only a few years old, more and more Canadians are using marijuana, also known as cannabis. In fact, per the 2019 Canadian Cannabis Survey, 4.4 million Canadians over the age of 15 reported using cannabis in the last 12 months. Before we take a look at what are cannabis capsules, let’s look at the ways you can take marijuana.
There are multiple ways you can take marijuana, including:
- Vaping: This involves using an electronic cigarette to inhale marijuana (either dry herb or a concentrate).
- Edibles: Suckers, baked goods, chocolates, and even smoothies can all include cannabis.
- Sprays: These are put under the tongue and available in many flavours.
- Topicals: Oils and lotions containing marijuana can be applied directly to the skin.
These are just a few of the many ways you can ingest marijuana.
One up and coming option: cannabis capsules.
What Are Cannabis Capsules?
Also known as marijuana pills, cannabis capsules are essentially just marijuana in pill form. These pills contain a refined cannabis extract that is suspended in a neutral, often natural, oil. They are available in capsules as well as gel capsules.
Marijuana pills offer you many options, including different formulations, different extracts, and different strengths.
How Marijuana Pills Work
If you take marijuana in pill form, you absorb it in a different way than if you vape or even ingest marijuana via an edible.
The cannabis pill is taken orally and then absorbed by your stomach before the liver metabolizes it. This process can take anywhere between 30 and 90 minutes, meaning it does take time for you to feel the effects of the marijuana pill. On the positive side, effects from marijuana pills often last longer than the effects you get from other methods, such as vaping.
Because cannabis pills are metabolized by the liver, their effects will be different for every person. How your liver metabolizes the pill will impact how strong the effects are and how you feel after taking it.
The Pros of Using Marijuana Pills
There are many pros of using marijuana pills versus other methods of ingesting marijuana, such as:
- Dosage control. Each pill contains a specific, set amount of marijuana, making getting a consistent and accurate dose easy. This can help you regulate the effects you feel.
- Portability. It is much easier for you to travel with cannabis pills than it may be to travel with vaping equipment, edibles, and even bongs.
- Easy to take. Cannabis pills are also easy to take. You do not have to learn how to smoke, how to operate a vape pen, or even how to incorporate cannabis into your baked goods.
- Diabetic-friendly. If you are diabetic, consuming edibles may not be an option. Cannabis pills offer a safer alternative, without sugar and other unhealthy ingredients.
- Allergen-friendly. There are many food allergies out there. Marijuana pills offer an allergen-free alternative way to get the effects of the high without exposing yourself to food allergies.
- No smoking required. If your lungs cannot handle smoking, whether it be due to illness or age, marijuana pills are a way to get high without having to inhale smoke.
- No smell. Though some people find the sweet scent of vapour smoke pleasant, others do not. Marijuana in pill form does not leave behind the telltale smell that vaping and smoking do.
The Cons of Cannabis Pills
Though there are many pros of using cannabis pills, there are also some cons to take into consideration before you purchase yours.
One of the appealing things about edibles and vaping are the available flavours. Fruity flavours, sweet flavours, and more are all on the market to appeal to a variety of preferences. But, when marijuana is taken in pill form, you miss out on these flavours.
Different strains of marijuana have different smells. If you take marijuana pills, you may miss out on using and interacting with fresh, fragrant marijuana flowers.
It is important to weigh both the benefits and the drawbacks of any method of marijuana ingestion before you try it.
How to Choose Your Dosage
One of the benefits of marijuana pills is the fact that it is easy to control the dosage. But, for those who are new to cannabis, knowing what dosage amount to start at can be difficult. Even those who have used marijuana before may not know where to start, as the potency of various flowers and products vary.
Experts often use the mantra, “start low and go slow” when it comes to finding the right dosage for you.
Since everyone feels the effects of marijuana differently, it is important to take time to find the dose that works for you. As you start taking cannabis pills, keep in mind that it can take anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes to feel its effects. Start with the lowest dose and then increase it by about 10 milligrams each day until you find the right dosage for you.
Finding Marijuana Pills
When shopping for cannabis pills, there are multiple things to look for.
First, look at the ingredients, including the amount of each. Knowing what is in it can help ensure you know the effects you will achieve from taking the pill.
Second, make sure you are purchasing your marijuana, in any form, from a reputable seller. What testing do they do to ensure a quality product? Take time to review the quality standards they enforce before you purchase the product.
Third, look into the customer service the seller provides. Is it easy to get in touch with someone if you have questions or concerns? Reading reviews for the seller and the product can help you feel confident about your purchase.
Finally, is your purchase guaranteed? This can include a guarantee of your satisfaction as well as shipping should your purchase get lost along the way.
Cannabis Pills in Summary
Now that we know what are cannabis capsules, let’s buy some. There are many reasons more and more Canadians are considering cannabis pills as an option for recreational marijuana use, including their long-lasting effects, portability, and discretion.